It allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of what it was like

 


 A deeper connection to my great-grandpa by Kenzie King

My favourite part of the trip was being able to develop a deeper connection to my great-grandpa Aza Lenden King. It was extremely special to be a 2022 Premier’s Anzac Spirit Prize Awardee after telling Aza’s story and ending up travelling to Darwin to visit some of the places he served in during WWII. I had also never been to Darwin before, so this was a new experience for me.

Aza witnessed the first plane to be shot down, a US Kitty Hawk, during the bombing of Darwin in 1942, which was surreal as we went to Darwin Harbour and were lucky enough to go on a Darwin Bombing Cruise. Touring around the harbour and learning exactly where it all happened, was a unique and one-of-a-kind experience I will never forget. It allowed me to gain a deeper understanding of what it was like for Aza and others serving at the time in Darwin, which was extremely special.

Another highlight I will cherish actually happened after the trip. It was extremely rewarding to be able to share all of my experiences from the Anzac Spirit Prize trip with my Papa, Aza’s son. The trip has allowed my family to connect with their history and uncover his life story. As I never had the chance to meet my great-grandpa, I felt extremely lucky and privileged to be able to honour and pay tribute to him whilst on the trip.

Comments

Popular posts

The 2021 Premiers' Anzac Spirit School Prize is happening now!

The moments of quiet reflection

Some final health advice and purchases