If only I could capture this moment forever

 


Oh, The Places We Went by Alexandra Seal

There were many aspects of the Premier’s Anzac Spirit School Prize Darwin Trip, which wereunforgettable and surreal. Visiting the graves of the Bald Family and the places of their final moments was an incredibly eye-opening experience. I reflected on their courage and Anzac spirit throughout the trip as well as my own personal journey as we hiked in Kakadu. I often walked at the back of the group, taking the time to appreciate the journey and the adventure it became to arrive at the gorgeous destinations. I learnt that by taking it slow and not rushing the long journey to the waterfalls, I could appreciate the beauty of the Northern Territory and be even more grateful for the opportunity I had been given. By learning to slow down a usually fast-paced journey, which we call life, I was able to catch beautiful glimpses of Australia’s ecosystems at work. From seeing lizards lounging in the sun to listening to Aaron explain the flora and fauna surrounding us. Although it took a longer time for us to finally reach our destination as we frequently stopped to ‘smell the roses’, this allowed us to pause and find the beauty in each step of the journey instead of just within the destination.

 As we walked through Yurmikmik (Motor Car Falls and Boulder Creek), we again found ourselves behind the pack. However, we were unbothered as we stopped to enjoy the serene views. We had been walking for some time until our path became rocky and unbalanced, and we realised that we were much further separated from the rest of the group than we would have liked. We all looked around at each other, out of breath, as we struggled to get around the giant boulders. We thought this must be the wrong way, and then we saw Niall barefoot, climbing over the rocks effortlessly to meet us: “What’s taking you guys so long?”. We were gobsmacked; we were going the right way - down this strange, winding, gradually ascending way. A way that one could not really describe as a path but a cluster of rocks. I remember getting ready to tackle the largest of the rocks, holding on to a tree branch for support. I was convinced that the branch would snap along with my spine, but the support from the friends I made on the trip and the sheer determination to see this “really good waterfall” helped me overcome the obstacle in my path. However, it was not done yet; I still needed to jump over two other boulders to get there. Anyone who knows me (and which was so greatly displayed on the trip) knows that I do not have an athletic bone in my body, and the thought of jumping over a “really massive gap in the boulders – which was more of a small crack” petrified me. However, there it was again, a hand reaching out to guide me safely across. And then I saw it. This “really good waterfall” was nothing short of spectacular, like our own part of paradise; secluded and sacred. 



I remember that as soon as my skin touched the water, I was soothed, and my worries washed away. I wasn’t thinking about how I would get back over that boulder or when I would be able to text my parents again; I was simply there in the moment. I closed my eyes and just floated in the middle of the pool of water. Tranquil. Peaceful. Still. I heard laughter and chatter from some girls sitting on rocks to my far right and to my left, some light splashing. I opened my eyes and looked up at the bright blue sky, framed by the cliff faces surrounding me, and thought, If only I could capture this moment forever because I knew that the trip would be over in a blink of an eye. At that moment, I realised that the true beauty of Darwin was the journey I took to get there. Although cliché, I truly thought about the trip as a metaphor for life. Dr Suess’ “Oh The Places You’ll Go” played on loop in my head as if to say “On and on you will hike, and I know you’ll hike far and face up to problems whatever they are”. As we left the waterfall and climbed back over the boulders, I tripped and fell. I am not going to say that I was not embarrassed - because I was- but I tried to change my perspective and relate it to the overall theme of life because I did get back up again. With the support of those around me and my own self-determination, I journeyed to the next waterfall with even more appreciation for the journey, not just the destination, and when we encountered a rocky path, I remembered the previous obstacles and thanked the universe that it wasn’t another boulder quite so big! Oh, the places we went, we saw great sights and soared to high heights. After our adventurous day we regained an internet connection and everyone’s phones began buzzing again. I smiled as I saw numerous notifications from my mum from the days without service, quotes from “Oh The Places You’ll Go” flooded my messages; ‘Kid, you’ll move mountains!’ I’d like to particularly thank Peter who shared his insight and humour with me as we walked, Malcolm and Aaron for stopping and spotting some wonderful creatures as we walked behind, at a slow pace which allowed us to enjoy the beauty of the gorgeous Kakadu, as well as Lauren and Jodi for their support. I’d also like to thank the amazing winners of the Premier’s Anzac Spirit School Prize who made the trip a collection of moments which will last a lifetime.

Comments

Popular posts

The 2021 Premiers' Anzac Spirit School Prize is happening now!

The moments of quiet reflection

Some final health advice and purchases