History is always about relationships


My Favourite night – By Emily McPherson

It was around day 5 when I had one of the best moments on the trip. We had just spent more than a few hours on the bus together when we arrived in Katherine. Everyone was exhausted by this point and we had a couple hours before dinner so we all went back to our rooms to shower and relax. Some of us called our parents to give them the daily run down of our day, others of us had showers.
Slowly, a few girls at a time started making their way into Sahib and Amelie and my room. We started by talking about some really deep topics, but the more people who came into our room, the sillier the topics became and the louder the room got. Right before dinner when most of the girls had found our room, we were cracking each other up by telling childhood stories and struggling to hear because other’s conversations were so loud. Now, after that night, I can tell you things from some of the girls’ childhoods that are personal and hilarious and that I would probably never have known otherwise. This night may have excluded the boys, but it really helped me to connect and get to know some of the girls on the trip really well. It’s probably not the moment on a history trip that you would automatically expect to be the most memorable, but history is always about relationships and friendships, and I think this night showed me why.


Comments

Popular posts

The 2021 Premiers' Anzac Spirit School Prize is happening now!

The moments of quiet reflection

Some final health advice and purchases