Visualising Margaret’s story

 


Best Friends who I now called my new family- by Olivia Brook

The first night at Stokes Hill Wharf was one of the most significant memories for me.

During my research of nurse, Margaret Augusta De Mestre, I was able to find the approximate location where the hospital ship Manunda was moored from Stokes Hill Wharf. This is where Margaret unfortunately lost her life during the Bombing of Darwin.

This first night was so special to me as I looked out over Darwin Harbour, seeing the stunning sunset and visualising Margaret’s story.  I imagined the Manunda peacefully moored to the southwest around 2.5 km off Stokes Hill Wharf and then coming under fire on that terrible day.

With a heavy heart, I felt for Margaret and the crew members who lost their lives, sacrificing everything to keep our country safe and heal the wounded. I was looked out onto the Harbour with compassion and sadness, then I turned my head to see the long table, filled with a group of special people that I connected so well with. It brought back memories of a familiar place, being here only a few years back with my family and then sitting there with a group of my best friends who I now call my new family.

That night, when I looked down the long table of all the amazing people, I was so happy, and I knew that this trip would an incredible experience and a trip of a lifetime. It certainly was and this trip will forever be remembered, and I am so grateful to all the people that made this possible.


Comments

Popular posts

The 2021 Premiers' Anzac Spirit School Prize is happening now!

The moments of quiet reflection

Some final health advice and purchases