I guess you never realise the true beauty of the present until it has passed


Connection by William Sims

I chose to write about this photo as I felt a great connection to it. This photo shows a plaque commemorating Merchant Navy service people and the sacrifice they made. This photo is really special to me as the person I researched after being awarded the prize, Master William Michie, is listed on this plaque. At first when we were told we needed to research a person that lost their life during the Bombing of Darwin, I had no idea who I was going to write about. I ended up choosing a William as it was only fitting, as I am a William and the original entry, I wrote was on William Charles Kenwrick, my great-grandfather. I soon became really connected to William Michie and his story and felt a part of his story. Seeing his name at the Adelaide River War Cemetery was surreal. I stood at this plaque and read the story I had written on William Michie aloud, multiple times feeling like I had not quite read it right. I then placed a poppy on the headstone and thought about what it would have been like if I was in Master Michie’s shoes. After this Peter conducted a moving service, one I found quite emotional. I feel very privileged to have experienced these special experiences on the Darwin trip. This was one of the best moments I experienced, being able to tell the stories of those who are gone, but trying to make sure they are not forgotten.

I have chosen to write about two photos as I feel one, does not do the trip justice.


This photo was also special to me as it shows the friendships and connections made on the trip. What was once a group of 20 complete strangers, standing in Adelaide airport, wondering what we had gotten ourselves into, by the end of the trip became a group of 20 young adults having banter over a game of UNO. This photo captures a beautiful view (not of you Aston) of Darwin Harbour with the sun setting in the background. At the time that this photo was taken, I didn’t quite realise how close we would all come. Thank you to all of the participants of this trip for making great memories and true friendships that I will remember for all of my life.  As a great man once said, I guess you never realise the true beauty of the present until it has passed. 

Comments

Popular posts

The 2021 Premiers' Anzac Spirit School Prize is happening now!

The moments of quiet reflection

Some final health advice and purchases