Listening to Bob inspired me in so many ways

 


I gained a new understanding of the sacrifices made 

By Ebony McHugh

On Friday the 23rd of April we left Katherine on a very long and enjoyable bus ride to the Adelaide River War Cemetery where we commemorated the service by not only soldiers, but of the local people during the bombing of Darwin.

Being able to commemorate the service of Albert Victor Leske Schulz made the involvement so much more meaningful. I gained a new understanding of the sacrifices made by soldiers. I found that listening to Bob talk about ‘we shall remember them’ inspired me in so many ways. Laying a small, hand collected bunch of flowers and standing by the grave of Schulz, I had a moment to myself where I reflected on everyone who has sacrificed their family lives and themselves during any war. It put a lot of things happening now in my life into a much better perspective and visiting the cemetery changed the way I view service military personnel, past and present.

This trip has been easily one of the best experiences of my life. I am so grateful to have been able to have this opportunity. I experienced breath-taking scenery, and walked away from this trip with a group of lifelong friends.

I am very thankful for the work by Malcolm to make this trip happen. I would also like to extend my thanks to Maddie, Bec and Bob for all their efforts throughout the trip. I am forever grateful for the support from family and my history teacher Jodie O’Donnell. Thank you to all the other students on the trip, you guys are the ones who made it so much more memorable.


Comments

Popular posts

It amazed me that I was sitting in front of it

The 2021 Premier's Anzac Spirit School Prize Award Ceremony

Robert Simons by Vinka Lakic