What happened in Darwin is not a secret anymore

 



What happened in Darwin is not a secret anymore

By Archie McEwen

 When my brother chose the Bombing of Darwin as the topic for a project in primary school, he was told by his teacher to re-evaluate his choice as this historical event was not significant enough. Now, more than ever, I realise how very wrong she was in her opinion. What happened in Darwin is not a secret anymore - it is an open story that can and should be told. 

On day 10 of our trip, we recognised the men and women who died during Darwin’s darkest days. On a cooler NT day, we departed from Katherine, heading for the Adelaide River War Cemetery. Upon arrival, we discovered an ataractic, shady haven of remembrance. Placed beneath the shade of great big canopies, we slowly found the men and women of our selection, paying homage to their humanity. After pausing for the ode and more of Bob’s wisdom, I found great comfort in directing my mind towards my young soldier during his finest moments, rather than his death. My soldier of choice, an American, was not buried at the cemetery. Yet, aided by the careful treatment and care for this serene place, I could feel a deep sense of gratitude on behalf of Australia to those international men who fought here. Few places can you take a group of sixteen teenagers, in blistering heat, and let them feel such a sense of appreciation as to forget about the heat - to forget about friends or school, and to see that we live in a marvellous place, kept safe by marvellous people. 

I will not forget this trip, the wonderful students and teachers I have met have had a large impact on me. I have made lifelong friends, learnt lifelong knowledge, and for this I am so grateful. Thank you to Malcolm, Maddi, Bec, Bob, and Bushy for such a great experience.


Comments

Popular posts

It amazed me that I was sitting in front of it

The 2021 Premier's Anzac Spirit School Prize Award Ceremony

Robert Simons by Vinka Lakic